Building report: O&K in 184mm gauge.

Das Brett für die Freunde des echten Fahrspaßes - Livesteam & Verbrennungsmotoren

Moderator: GNEUJR

smr779
Buntbahner
Re: Building report: O&K in 184mm gauge.

Beitrag von smr779 »

The lowered rear section is to keep the centre of gravity low - at this size, tipping over can be a problem, so the design is intended to keep the driver as low as possible (but also comfortable).
Most of our vehicles use conveyor belt take up bearings. These are very good for railway use: they have slots in the sides to fit in the frame, a self aligning bearing in the middle and a hole at the top that the spring fits into very easily. I will photograph one for you tomorrow, but you can see one here
lokmarv
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Beitrag von lokmarv »

Hello Peter,

for me the diesels are really very close to the spirit of Orenstein & Koppel, and they seem to be preety strong, too.

My special interest is on the steam locos. What prototype should the B1 (0-4-2t) represent?
What is the meaning of tinkerbell for locos?

Would be nice to have an answer to these questions, when work proceeds.

Cheers martin
Bild
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Martin,
The steam locomotives do not follow any prototype.The Tinkerbell type was designed by Roger Marsh,and is a ride-in 0-4-2 tank engine in the Heywood style. Mine are modified from this design, and have 70mmx108mm cylinders. Here is a picture of a tinkerbell with a full cab:
Bild
If you would like more information, I would be happy to give it to you.
Best Wishes
Peter
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Today, I picked up the body of one of the locos from the sprayer. I reassembled her, and then attached the nameplates and my builders plate. Here are some photos:
BildBild
Bild
I'm biased, but I like her a lot!!
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Today the owner of the blue O&K held a party to name her.
Bild
The photo above shows him bringing a 3 coach train upthe 1 in 100 from the car park station to the main station at our railway. I think the smile on his face says it all!!
lokmarv
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Beitrag von lokmarv »

Hello Peter,

a very respectable, propper result! Respect!

Let me guess - is the smile on the face of the new owner a fact of the mounted "Comfi-Chair", too. It seems to be a perfect shock-absorber :lol: ?

Greetings martin

PS: Is there any progress on the Tinkerbells?
Bild
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Martin,
I have recently completed the smokeboxes for the tinkerbells. This includes the doors, hinges etc. So I'm now pretty close to putting the boilers on.
Peter
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Martin,
Just to update you on the tinkerbells: The boilers are on and the tanks and bunkers are now made. Very shortly, I will take these parts to be painted, and then final assembly, piping up, etc. ready for steam trials can be done. I expect to have them in steam early in 2012.
Regards
Peter
lokmarv
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Beitrag von lokmarv »

Hello Peter,

thanks for the report. Unfortunately your interesting fotos in this thread have disappeared. On your home some new things are visible but the history is gone. :(

I would like to see more of the progress on your Tinkerbells, in my mind they are very interesting cute thingies with your special way to work with the kids arround.

Regards martin
Bild
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Martin,

I'm not sure why the pictures do not show any more - they are still there in reality, just do not show. I will see if I can find out why.

The tinkerbells - they are coming on very well. I will post some photographs as soon as the weather is good enough to get them out. I hope to get the tanks, bunkers, and cab fronts to the sprayer before Christmas, and to get some time to work on them over the holidays. After the tanks come back, I have the job of applying the lining to them, which will take some time. But, hopefully, they will steam early next year.

Regards

Peter
Antworten