Building report: O&K in 184mm gauge.

Das Brett für die Freunde des echten Fahrspaßes - Livesteam & Verbrennungsmotoren

Moderator: GNEUJR

smr779
Buntbahner
Building report: O&K in 184mm gauge.

Beitrag von smr779 »

Hello!
Purists look away NOW!!
I build locomotives to a scale of 1:1, but on a very narrow gauge (184mm). These locomotives are built for hauling real trains of people and goods. Often, I like to build them in the style of existing locomotives.
So, my current project is to build 2 locomotives which are what I think O&K might have produced if they had made the MD1 locomotive for 184mm gauge. They have 4HP diesel engines, with hydraulic transmissions, and will be very easy to drive. The drivers' seat can be moved to either side of the locomotive to suit the driver. These are now nearly complete. This picture was taken two weeks ago.
Bild
Today was a special day: the first one was started and ran under its own power. The other one needs the wiring done, and a few other little jobs, and then it will be ready to start too.
Once these are done, I also have 2 0-4-2t (tinkerbell) locomotives to complete. The chassis for these have been air tested, and the boilers are also ready. So they should be ready by the middle of the year.
Best Wishes
Peter
Gleisbauer
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Re: Building report: O&K in 184mm gauge.

Beitrag von Gleisbauer »

Hi Peter,
do you have a Railroad in your Garden to drive the locos, or should they drive on a public Railroad?
On the first look, i´ll like to say, they are looking like Diema´s, but i don´t think that that will be a problem- they are nice little Locos to have fun while your driving them. :wink:
MfG Christoph
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Christoph.
I have a small length of track in my garden to run them on - but I also have a railway 800m long not far away. One of them is for a fellow member of that club: the other is for a member of a club 30km away.
Yes, the bonnet shape is similar to Diema as well - so you can choose which one you think they are like!!
My website is here: http://www.beevers.org.uk/pbe/pbe.htm where there are some details of the locomotives I have already built.
Some dimensions:
Length: 1320mm
Width: 600mm
Height to top of bonnet:736mm
Wheelbase: 600mm
Peter
kartonbahner
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Beitrag von kartonbahner »

Peter,
smr779 hat geschrieben: ... Today was a special day: the first one was started and ran under its own power. The other one needs the wiring done, and a few other little jobs, and then it will be ready to start too.
... nice to read that there is some progress ... :) ... and thanks for posting of some dimensions ... is it possible to show a photo (like the ones on your website) showing the loco in comparison with a driver ... ?

... schön, dass Du von einem Fortschritt berichten kannst - und vielen Dank für das Einstellen von einigen Abmessungen ... hast Du vielleicht ein Photo, dass einen Größenvergleich der Lok mit einem Fahrer ermöglicht (wie z. B. auf Deiner Website) ... ?

Massive cheers
Gerald

BTW:
The frame and the buffer plates seem to be laser cut steel? ... 12mm? Did you use M12 nuts and bolts to mount the parts together?
Die Rahmenteile kommen mir wie lasergeschnittener Stahl vor ... 12mm stark? Was für Schrauben hast Du für die Montage benutzt ... M12?
Gerald
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Yes, the frames and buffer beams are laser cut from 12mm steel. the footplate, cab rear, cab front and bonnet are all laser cut from 3mm steel. The buffer beams have slots in them, and tabs in the ends of the frames fit into these. This ensures that the frames are the correct distance apart and are square. Afterwards, a little welding fills any gaps. The buffer beams are attached with M8 bolts.
I will post some more photographs next weekend - I will be taking loco number 1 to our society track to test it out, so will take some photographs then.
Best Wishes
Peter
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Today, one of the locos had its first long trip out with a light load, successfully completing its first 3 miles.

Bild

Bild

Tomorrow, when I unload it from the trailer, I will take some photographs of the controls, engine etc. as requested.
lokmarv
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Beitrag von lokmarv »

Hello Peter,

more photos of your very special railroad are highly appreciated.

It´s a funny line and the security-standard seems to be quite high. I like the way you involve the kids into railroading.

Please give us more details, especially the first photo is a promise: on the left side of your shed seems to be something more very interesting.

All the best,
greetings martin
Bild
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

Martin,

Today I opened up the workshop to move the diesels out so I could take a photograph of those other chassis in there for you:
Bild
Hidden in there are two 0-4-2 chassis, which have been air tested. I am currently making the smokeboxes, and then the boilers can be fitted.

Our railway is about 800m long, around a public park. We have some steep gradients, and yes, we try very hard to involve youngsters in running it - without them it will not be there in a few years time! We take youngsters from the age of 13, and train them how to shut the diesel engines first. The good ones will then progress to shunting steam locomotives. We also involve them in maintaining the rolling stock, operating the signal box and other jobs at the railway. They cannot drive passenger trains until they are 17. If you (or any other buntbahn'ers) are ever in the UK, we are about 40 minutes South of London by train and you will get a very warm welcome if you visit us.

Below is a photograph of the controls of one of the diesels:
Bild
From the left: Rev counter, speedometer, forward/reverse control, starter switch, stop switch, horn control, throttle.

Best Wishes,

Peter
smr779
Buntbahner

Beitrag von smr779 »

I have spent the last week painting the second locomotive ready for her owner. She is slightly different from her twin: the owner wanted a removable roof, and also an O&K badge on the front. Below are some photographs of him driving her at our railway: the weather was not very good, but she was soon used to move ballast for our winter works.
Bild
Bild
Bild
kartonbahner
Buntbahner
Buntbahner

Beitrag von kartonbahner »

Peter,

thank you very much for your additional photos and information ... :lol:

Is there a specific/technical reason for the lowered rear part of that kind of loco?

I'm also getting curious about the axle boxes being used on the waggons - any chance for a close up ... ?

"... vielen Dank für die zusätzlichen Fotos/Informationen.

Gibt es einen bestimmten Grund dafür, dass Du den hinteren Teil dieser Baureihe "tiefer" gelegt hast?

Mich würde auch interessieren, welche Art Achslager bei den Wagons Verwendung findet - gibt es ggf .eine Detailaufnahme ... ?"
Gerald
Antworten